Sunday, July 06, 2008

The pressure got to me

posted by peppermint at 12:23 PM

I feel I owe an explanation for my looooooong absence here in the blog-o-sphere. Our blog was hooked up to a feed for HouseBlogs.net, a whole community of DIYers sprucing up their domiciles and sharing their progress on a routine basis for the good of the community as a whole. A GREAT community, and we were pleased to be a part of it, even though in comparison I often felt like we were more the "Special Olympics" of home renovation. Perhaps that's an element they felt was sorely lacking over there? We were happy to bring it.

Problem is, we weren't so much working on the house anymore. Tom hangs up his tool belt when school is in session, and I'm not much in the self-motivation department so if he's not working neither am I. I had started posting mind-numbingly boring things about our daily life in the absence of remodeling news, then I realized the folks over at HouseBlogs probably weren't all that interested in what I bought at Target, or how much my kid hates taking a bath. So I made a mental note to take myself off their feed, and I'll refer you back to my previous statement about lacking self-motivation, and then you might understand why it took me three months to do that. Also I'm still not sure that I did it right. If that's the case then .. I've done all I can. My only hope at this point would be that someone more intelligent than I will get so sick of my rambling that they'll remove me PROPERLY.

After three months had passed I started to wonder what I could possibly have to say. Obvious answer: not much. But now I've decided to bite the bullet and challenge myself to post regularly again. And because I'm a total masochist I've decided that I will challenge myself to post a few times a week throughout July in order to get myself back in the habit. Originally I was all "Hey, I'm going to post DAILY. How cool am I?!" but now that reality has had a chance to sink in I've decided to set my aim low. Also there'll be no apparent theme or goal to my posts, I'm sure.

Speaking of giant let-downs, I also abandoned my Project 365. Turns out life is pretty damn boring in Wisconsin through the winter, and I literally ran out of things to photograph. Also I started to resent the pressure. Some days I'd take three dozen photos that I loved, and others .. no photos at all. So the confines of the "per day" thing really got to me. Once I stopped worrying about the 365 aspect, I found myself taking more pictures. Which I'll still share, but not on a daily basis.

Like this one of Nicholas from Wednesday:





His gills are starting to grow in, and he's dabbling in the art of going underwater. Which is an abrupt change from LAST year where we had to observe strict "no splashing" rules in the pool due to his fear that his face would melt off if water touched it.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Welcome back...dammit.

12:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home