Sunday, July 13, 2008

As if we need help staying up late

posted by peppermint at 12:02 AM

I've gotten Tom addicted to iced coffee. I've never been a coffee drinker or a fan of warm drinks in general, but I vividly remember the day that I discovered Starbucks Frappuccinos. It was a good day. Before long the old miser who takes up residence IN MY SOUL sent me searching for a less expensive (and more convenient) way to feed my addiction and this is the method that works for me. It's not the only way to make iced coffee, and it may not even be the BEST way to make iced coffee - but I'm fairly sure that this is the easiest method you'll ever find. All it requires is a coffee maker, a standard pitcher of some sort, running water, and these two items (brand doesn't matter):



Brew a 10-cup batch of fairly strong coffee - and the only reason it's a "10-cup" batch is because that will fill a standard 2-quart plastic pitcher. So you can make more or less, depending on the size of your pitcher. As for "strong" - that's a matter of taste. A little stronger than you would make your usual pot of coffee, because the condensed milk is going to dumb it down a bit.



As soon as it's done brewing I pour it into the pitcher and add a few handfuls of ice. I'm impatient like that. If you're not on the verge of mainlining some caffeine, then you can stick the pitcher in the fridge and come back to the project later. If I were to put it in the fridge at this point I would forget about it for three days - so I add the ice to get it down to room temperature.



Then you can add the can of sweetened condensed milk. Or if you're my mom, you can add a can of FAT FREE sweetened condensed milk. Or FAT FREE unsweetened condensed milk (if there even is such a thing) and then the requisite amount of Splenda to achieve sweetness. Although I can't vouch for whether or not this would totally suck.

At our house, we simply add a can of fat laden sweetened condensed milk, stir it and stick it in the fridge. Tom will drink all 2 quarts of it in less than 48 hours. Then I scrape him off the ceiling, make him detox for a week, and start the process all over again.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home